Systems for a Score is the result of collaborations in a bespoke recording studio, central to an exhibition by artists Fari Bradley and Chris Weaver with the same name at Tashkeel, Dubai.
For these sessions, UAE-based musicians, artists and school children improvised, interpreting traditional Emirati weave (Al Sadu) as graphic scores. The recording studio, ‘A Model Studio’ was decorated with patterns derived from Atari graphics and Al Sadu. The studio, designed and created by the artists, was an embodiment of the weave to image via Atari concept that underscored the exhibition and the album.
All tracks were produced and mixed by Bradley and Weaver during their 11 month artist residency at Tashkeel, Dubai, UAE from 2014-2015.
1) Empire of the Mind feat. Faissal el-Malak, vocals (3’41)
2) Telli, Zirri, Telli, Zirri feat, Rashid School 9th Grade, musique concrète (5’05)
3) Night Stroll, 35°C feat. Jumairy, vocals (Arabic) (3’23)
4) Habeeb Swam to Baluchistan feat. Taher Ismail Al Balooshi, self-made tamboura and vocals (Arabic) (8’08)
1) Threads Before Knots feat. Mounia Hajji on oud (3’09)
2) May The Future Keep Its Core (6’46)
3) Rababa, You, Yes feat. a traditional Khaleeji song by Jaber Al Maket, rababa, vocals (Arabic) (10’30)
All tracks created, produced and mixed by Fari Bradley and Chris Weaver.
Supported by DJ Corner UAE, Bash Sounds and Tashkeel.
Cover graphics produced by Khalid Mezaina.